Sunday, May 03, 2009

Baked Blueberry and Peach Oatmeal


I saw this recipe in a magazine that my mom gave to me. I cant remember the name of it now. I remember that I really wanted to try it out. I love oatmeal. I only like the old fashioned oats. I hate instant or quick cooking oats. It just gets to mushy. I decided that I wanted to try this recipe out because my mom is hosting a Mother's Day Brunch at her house on Mother's Day this year, and I am supposed to bring a breakfast recipe so I thought Id try this. The verdict? I wont bring this to the brunch. It was good, but just not what I'm looking for in oatmeal. I usually cook my oatmeal in milk because I like it really creamy. My mom cooks hers in water like the directions says, and I always think its too chewy like that. Well, this turned out chewy. I do have to say that the next day leftovers were GREAT! I thought it was so much better the 2nd day. Just pop some into the microwave and then add a bit of cream and you are set. It was creamy and mushy and not too chewy. My kids didn't eat this though, so it probably wont be a keeper.

Baked Blueberry Peach Oatmeal

3 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 egg whites
1 egg
1 1/4 cup fat free milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 can (15ounce) sliced peaches, drained and chopped
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
Additional milk, optional

In a large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk the egg whites, egg, milk, oil and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and stir until blended. Let stand 5 minutes then stir in the peaches and blueberries.

Transfer to an 11in x 7in baking dish, coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes or until the top is slightly browned and a thermometer reads 160 degrees. Serve with additional milk if desired.

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

what a great combo of flavors!