This recipe turned out really good. My only complaint is that there wasnt very much. I only used 2 cups of shredded chicken. Even so, I used a larger can of tomatos than the recipe called for and I used a whole can of chicken broth, in place of the 1 cup of water. It was barely enough for 3 people. Next time I will definitely double the recipe. We all liked it.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes in puree
- 1 can diced green chilis
- 1 can chicken broth
- Coarse salt
- 1 small cooked rotisserie chicken (about 1 3/4 pounds), skinned and shredded (about 4 cups), carcass discarded
- 1/2 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves, chopped, plus 4 sprigs for garnish
- 4 cups (about 3 ounces) tortilla chips
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1.75 ounces Queso Fresco cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- Combine oil and garlic in a large (3-to-4-quart) saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and sizzling, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with their puree (breaking tomatoes up), green chilis, and the chicken broth. Bring to a boil; season with salt. Reduce heat and simmer rapidly until lightly thickened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring, until hot, about 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in chopped cilantro.
- Divide chips among four shallow bowls; top with chicken mixture and sauce. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, sour cream, and cheese. Serve.