Sunday, May 03, 2009

Spinach Quiche


I love quiche. I used to make it quite a bit before I met Carl. He just doesn't like quiche for dinner and that is usually when I end up making it. There are times that he isn't too thrilled with my quiche dinner. Then the next morning we have the leftovers for breakfast and he is saying how great it is. I ask, what is the difference between now and last night? And his reply is that its breakfast now. Hmmm.

The other night I had a craving, so I made it for dinner again. And I have to say that it was yummy. I just love quiche.

Spinach Quiche (from Better Homes and Gardens)

1 refrigerated pie crust, thawed
1/2 cup chopped onion
6 slices of bacon, chopped
8 eggs
1/2 cup dairy sour cream
1/2 cup half and half, light cream or milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
3 cups lightly packed chopped spinach
2/3 cup grated mozzerella cheese
1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese

Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of tin foil. Bake in 450 degree oven for 8 minutes, then remove the foil and continue to bake an additional 4 or 5 minutes, until pastry is set and dry. Remove from oven and reduce oven temp to 325 degrees.

In a large skillet, cook onion and bacon till onion is tender and bacon is crisp. Drain on paper towels.

In a medium mixing bowl, beat eggs slightly with a fork. Stir in sour cream, half and half, salt, pepper. Stir in onion mixture, spinach, mozzerella and swiss cheese.

Pour egg mixture into the hot baked pastry shell. Bake in the 325 oven for 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean (it took about 15 minutes extra for me) Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serves 6 to 8.

4 comments:

ErinsFoodFiles said...

Your quiche looks good to me! I'd eat it for dinner! My SO isn't big on breakfast for dinner either. It's a bummer because it was such a fun tradition as a kid. I'd get so excited to find out we were having pancakes at 6pm! Maybe when we have kids I can force it on him!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Mmm - I'll be making a quiche this weekend!

Audrey said...

That's funny - we grew up with the 'no breakfast for dinner rule at our house' LOL I make a 'quiche-like' dinner over here every couple of weeks. BUT - I don't call it quiche, it's egg bake. HaHa - works for me!

Glenna said...

The quiche you brought to the Mothers Day Brunch was so yummy. My daughter is a great cook!!